Have you every heard someone say, perhaps in a small group setting, “what this scripture means to me is…,” and they proceed to conjure up in their imagination some uber spiritual or intellectually profound thought. When I hear something like this, if that individual operates opposed to the principles I list below, here is how I want to respond…
This post is not intended to encourage snobbery when reading the scriptures but rather humility and a longing for truth. My hope is that every time you listen to the word of God, whether in personal devotion, a small group setting or through preaching, that the Word will be rightly handled (2 Timothy 2:15). I will develop each of these points in my next few post but for now here are ‘5 Principles To Help You Interpret The Bible Faithfully’.
5 Principles To Help You Interpret The Bible Faithfully
- Read the whole Bible with the Hero of the Bible in mind.
- Prioritize context over preconceived concepts.
- Don’t hide the meaning looking for a hidden meaning.
- Don’t allow unclear verses to make the Bible unclear.
- Cultivate Holy Spirit application rather than cultural acclimation.